vrijdag 6 januari 2012

happy 2012!

A year has passed where lots has happened: the earth has moved quite a few times - not always with the best result to our regret, the euro has reached it’s lowest point – or has started an adventure into the deep, lots of uproar in the middle east and the 7th billion baby has entered the world – we have officially outnumbered the bee population, which is not something to be proud of.
Reading the first paragraph, you would think I was following worlds politics, news, woes and fortunes. Weirdly enough, I haven’t. I have been blissfully unaware of a lot of things that have been happening in the world. So what has caught our attention this year?
This was the first full year in New Zealand and we have been working hard to make our house a real family home. We have officially bought the house and land that we were renting and have altered it. Our house, when we moved in, was two separate apartments and while we were occupying upstairs, Peter, our lovely neighbor was living downstairs. Although we were very sad to see him go, it was very exciting when we could start our alterations and make it into one house. Now we’re enjoying our lovely open plan kitchen with the most gorgeous view, our playden/mancave – depending on the hour of the day and a music room where I can teach.

We also have thoroughly enjoyed our garden with veggie-patch and greenhouse. I have started growing tomatoes and they are touching the roof of the greenhouse. If you were in Holland, you would think it was some lovely Nederwiet, but that is next years project 
To make our house more homey, we (or should I say the girls and I) got a ginger kitten from the spca called Larry. We couldn’t think of a better name, so he’s still called Larry. He still brings in loads of leafs, branches, but also brings wildlife in. Even with the biggest and loudest bell around his neck, he is able to catch birds. The girls love him, Simon hates him and I think he is wonderful and a good friend.
Ella-Sophie turned 5 this year and has started school. From day one she brought a book home and read it out to us. It is amazing that they immediately start writing and reading. She is thoroughly enjoying Karori Normal, a huge school, but it manages to stay very personal. She has made lots of friends and is our social butterfly. Ella loves swimming – she even had her birthday party at the swimming pool - and is now able to swim without any floating device. She is happily jumping in the water and bringing things up from the bottom of the pool - onze waterrat! Ella is also full of mischief and Larry, our cat can tell you lots of stories about that… One time Ella came to me and said: ‘mmmmm, I wonder where Larry is’, looking at the dress-up box. ‘mmm, where could he be?’ Opening up the lid, there he was looking all scared. Another time, she dipped him in a bucket of water, ‘because he needed a bath’. Poor cat was soaking wet..
The other side of Ella is a very caring little girl. She feeds Larry when he is hungry, she takes care of Emily when she is hurt and is always there for her friends when they need help. Last month, she got a certificate at school for being such a responsible girl. She is becoming a big girl, but Bruce (her cuddly toy) is still her #1!
Emily, now 3 years old, has shot up in the last few months. She is becoming a tall girl, only her hair doesn’t want to grow, but the curls go wild on her cute little head. This year has been the year for Emily that she has started to socialize. She started going to childspace and kindy, while I was working and she has enjoyed that very much making lots of little friends. It almost seems that Emily has swapped languages this year; in the beginning she only spoke Dutch, now she only talks English. I talk Dutch to her, but she always replies in English. There were moments that I had to take Emily with me to work this year and she always loved to come along to the children’s choir that I conduct. She would sit quietly on a chair next to me and would get hugs from the kids at the end of it. On our way home she would sing the songs that the kids were singing at the rehearsal. I have to say, I was quite impressed with that!
Emily is our fashion queen, that only wants to wear colours that fit, she decides what to wear for the next day before she goes to bed and if something is not right, she will throw a fit, that will be heard all over Karori… Yes, Emily is a fiery little one who will also give you endless cuddles and kisses. Emily’s saying of this year: While she flushed the toilet she said: ‘now the poo can visit the other poos’.
Simon loves being back in New Zealand. He is enjoying his work at Trade Me and has had great feedback on his work. His job is still going strong and he is hoping to continue this for quite some years. Next to that, one of his highlights has been to be part of a football team again. Although it consists of balding, potbelly men, he is enjoying the ‘running around like a headless chicken over the field’–activity. I think he has scored twice this year, but I must have heard him talk about that 365 times. Oh well, if it pleases him 
Singing has come back into his life, which is really awesome. He did some solo stuff and also sang with a choir singing beautiful music from Howells, Schutz and Barber. Only a few weeks ago we both sang in a concert for the opera society here in Wellington where he proved to have a great voice for Verdi and Tchaikovski. And of course, he sang at the rugby world cup! To be part of the choir, but more importantly, to be standing so close to those giants and see them all pumped up and hear the roar of excitement from the crowd.
Another highlight of course was being at the final of the worldcup watching the All Blacks win. It’s a little sad though that he hasn’t seen the All Blacks score…. With the first try he was looking the other way, trying to get the audience up their feet to chant for their team. With the penalty, he was getting more beer….oh well, there is always the replay at home…
I feel like I have had a busy year trying to juggle family & kids, friends and work. The girls and I have made lots of new contacts and friends which is wonderful and it makes us feel right at home.
Workwise, I have been a bit surprised that my life has steered right back into the direction of music. Main thing this year has been singing teaching, conducting and singing. I was very fortunate to take over two choirs and singing students from Nicola, who moved to England and was looking for somebody to take over her work. I never knew how much I would enjoy conducting a choir, it’s so wonderful how singing can bring so much joy and fun to a group. There is still lots for me to learn about conducting and repertoire, but I’m always keen for learning new stuff, so can’t wait to learn more. I did a workshop this year and will definitely continue with that.
The singing teaching has been good, a solid income and I there are some good voices that I am working with, so that is always exciting to do. I have organized a student concert and it was wonderful to hear the progress that they have made in this year. Next year, I’m looking forward to starting teaching at Onslow, a high school with a good arts program.
I have been singing myself much more again. It started last year with singing at a small opera production and during this year I have done some little concerts. After auditioning for the chorus at the NZ Opera, I have been offered a place as resident artist. This could give me the opportunity to sing small roles at some point. For now I will be understudy for a smaller role and I will be part of the chorus. Great thing is that any lessons and coaching I want will be paid for. Again, I like the challenge to learn new stuff and (re)discover my voice.
The most scary thing this year for me was teaching at the school of music, giving workshops about performance anxiety (yes, I know funny) and podium-presentation. I really missed Mart in the preparation and the actual work, my mate when I was doing this stuff in Holland. But it went well and I got some awesome results out of the students and I’m looking forward to doing some more teaching there next year.
Highlight was singing in the choir at the rugby world cup and recording all the anthems. Just the whole buzz of the world cup and going to all those games was just the best. People chanting, celebrating, what a buzz! Good times.
Another highlight is my parents coming to NZ. To be able to share my life with them and them being with the girls is just a dream come true. I’m ever so grateful that they have made the huge effort to come all the way to us.
Apart from it being truly wonderful having them here, we also get the added benefit of getting away for a few hours with opa and oma as ‘babysitters on tap’.
A couple of days ago we did a walk that starts just behind Karori which we have been meaning to do for a long time. It’s a 4 hour walk that goes over the hills behind the west of Wellington with gorgeous views over the city and on the other side, the South Island. A great way to start the New Year.
Well, enough said about this year. Being away from family and loved ones in Holland makes me feel torn at times, but life is definitely treating us well here in NZ. We are blessed with our health and love for each other, with Simon’s wonderful (extended) family, with our newly made friends and with skype/internet/phone to keep the old part of our life here.
Love,
Simon, Maaike, Ella-Sophie and Emily

1 opmerking:

  1. Hey buurvrouw, leuk weer een update te zien! Jullie ook een heel goed 2012!

    Gr. van ons.

    Sander & Joyce.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen