woensdag 8 september 2010

Further thoughts from Simon - the Facebook discussion

On Facebook, I recently made a short status update about being here 2 weeks in NZ.
I was quite intrigued by the reaction of a couple of people who like me have lived out of Wellington for many many years. These people - Kiri and Nathan, seemed to be equally curious about how I feel going back. What the impact might be. I am sure their feelings are common among Kiwi's who have lived overseas for many years. Could you ever go back? Going back to what we left behind? To a country that hasn't really changed that much? I mean there was a good reason we all left right?

In reaction to Kiri's comment I quoted my last Blog post. Nathan Green(an old friend of mine now living in Bangkok) reacted on this.

Out of the many people who make Facebook postings, I find Nathan to be an interesting and intriguing chap with unusual and stimulating posts on Facebook.

This is the Facebook posting....

-----------
Simon Christie
‎2 weeks in NZ. Wife away for a week. Loving spending quality time with the kids. Enjoying family and friends (still gotta catch up with a whole lot).Recorded jingle for TV. Trying to find work. Running in the bush. Culture shocked. And not least, thoughts are with the people in Chch.

Nathan Green I'll be watching your return with interest. Home after 10 years but this part of your blog post resonated: The feeling that this will be a terrific playground for our kids - fields, hills, mountains and valleys to be conquered.

Would you have gone back if you didn't have kids? A big part of me would love to go back but I have a feeling life there has left me behind. Is anybody there from the old days still living like a 12 year old or is it just me?

Simon Christie ‎- Very good question regarding kids. To be honest not sure. I've had a longing to go back for years.But things were good in Amsterdam. Work was good. Friends were good. ...And I was gigging in clubs.
It's too early to say how things will settle. At the moment still some culture shock. I feel in between being back in time 10 years and in the future. Feel like I am floating alongside it and not involved - walking like a ghost through the city and observing behaviour.
I know there are old friends out there who have stayed put, and even lived in the same suburb all this while. Whether they are like 12 year olds no idea. If they are, then not a bad thing in my opinion. I hope to keep a wholesome percentage of childlike behaviour forever. I hate getting old and thinking too much with doubts and fears. My aim is to keep throwing caution to the wind and taking risks.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. It's Yangon (Rangoon) not Bangkok, which is more than a world away.

    Ironically, just before I left New Zealand five years ago I worked on a job for the Department of Labour trying to encourage kiwis living abroad to consider coming home as we had a major skills shortage. We launched the campaign and I left soon after, and haven't been back since. Being gone for so long has made me realise the campaign was spot on - the idea behind it was to show people how the country had changed, and that it has so much to offer. Having been gone for just 5 years, I have absolutely no idea how I'd fit anymore.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Reaction from Simon:
    Yea and the point is we haven't changed. Not on the surface anyway. And I'm sure nothing much has changed underneath.
    So I am curious whether I will like this or not.
    I think I will and it will be a case of acclimatising.
    And also putting a heap into the community and getting involved - which once settled, can't wait to do. Only get out what you put in and all that stuff....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Simon! I love running into this philosophical side of you. Write more!
    Saskia

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Cruzzie - when I lived in NZ and worked at Career Services, I wrote a section for their website about returning New Zealanders dealing with culture shock and what not. I urge you to check it out. There's a questionaire at the end which will really help with their research for updating the site in the future for returning NZers which would be great if you could fill out. pipi xxxxhttp://www2.careers.govt.nz/settling_back_into_nz_life.html

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen